It is beyond any doubt that the Romanian Securitate ordered Gheorghe Ursu's arrest, torture and murder solely for political reasons. This fact was established, based on the witness accounts and the documents from Securitate, in the indictments and court decisions concerning CLITA and STANICA/CREANGA. The Securitate simulated the case of non-political offences (concerning the possession of 17 dollars) and used the Militia as cover-up. As a cellmate who witnessed Ghoerghe Ursu's torture by Securitate said:" Gheorghe Ursu told me [...] that the true motivation of his arrest was political, that they claimed to arrest him for foreign currency possession just because it was not in the interest of the regime to be registered as a political detainee he said that he was interrogated by Securitate. I understood that the interrogators were interested in his journal and in the relationships with his friends."

The fact that a non-political detainee and two Militia officers were sentenced for murder does not exclude the guilt of other co-authors, namely PIRVULESCU MARIN, as falsely claimed by chief military prosector VASILACHE Ion and by judge GUNESCU. Securitate was the institution that investigated Ursu and, since he did not cooperate, it subsequently planned his arrest, torture and murder, using Militia as a cover up.
Securitate Major PIRVULESCU MARIN was Gheorghe Ursu's direct investigator both before (January-August 1985) and after his arrest (September 21 - Novermber 17, 1985). Since Gheorghe Ursu did not consent to divulging his friends (see the witness accounts), PIRVULESCU (whose name and identity was specified by witnesses) DIRECTLY applied him methodical physical and psychological torture throughout the detention period and strictly for poltical reasons. According to the documents from Securitate, the investigator wanted to establish the"nature of the relationships" between Gheorghe Ursu and a number of intellectuals (from Romania and abroad) "placed under Securitate's surveillance for their hostile opinions". The witnesses testified that because "Ursu was being beaten during every interrogation" because"he did not want to divulge what the investigator asked him", meaning "the issue of his friends". PIRVULESCU gradually engaged in more and more inhuman torture methods: initially, blows applied over Ursu's palms, then over his face, head, stomach - all of these blows and beatings finally led, as certainly premeditated, to the dissident's death. Gheorghe Ursu was being brought back to this cell full of blood, screaming in pain, "holding onto his abdomen", in an "altered" state; he was "physically and psychologically weakened". His cell mates"were also applying a terror regime", as ordered by Securitate. Since he still did not accept to cooperate, the Securitate extended his remand, imposed "severe isolation" as punishment and continued with incredibly barbaric acts: "chained and standing with his hands laterally stretched and handcuffed to the wall for 17 hours daily". Obviously, Gheorghe Ursu was not allowed any contact with his family, and his lawyer noticed "deep handcuff marks" on Ursu's hands during the one time she met him (in the presence of the investigating officers).  Before his death he was brought back from PIRVULESCU's interrogation "in a blanket, because he was no longer able to walk". Although he had been delivered deadly blows, he was refused timely and adequate medical treatment.  The entire ensemble of measures which targetted and yieldedthe physical elimination of engineer GHEORGHE URSU represents without any doubt the crime of inhuman treatments, which is a crimewithout any statute of limitation, according to the Romanian and international laws in effect.

The History of PIRVULESCU Files

In November 2000, along with indicting Militia officers STANICA and CREANGA, SPM (the Military Prosecution Section) opened file8/P/2001, with the aim to continue the investigations of Securitate officers - including PIRVULESCU Marin, the main investigator of Gheorghe Ursu - for premeditated murder (art. 175 CP).New evidence against PIRVULESCU was gathered and added to the file until 2003. At that time, It had  become absolutely clear that PIRVULESCU Marin had been fully involved into Gheorghe Ursu's torture and murder, which had been committed in parallel with his torturing by cell informers.

The indictments prepared by the Military Prosecution itself against cell informera CLITA Marian, and then against militia officers STANICA si CREANGA, clearly established that the Securitate officers had actually led Ursu's investigation and directly participated to torture. This was also established in 2003 by the Bucharest Court of Appeal in the decision which sentenced the Militia officers.

On 03.12.2003, SPM disconnects the case concerning some amnestied offences (abuse in service, etc) and decides the continuation of the investigation for murder(art. 175 CP) against former Securitate officers, including PIRVULESCU Marin. This document of General Dan VOINEA, the chief of SPM at that time, also mentions the essential role of the Securitate officers in this political murder.

"Cele de mai sus demonstreaza ca si dupa depunerea lui Ursu Gheorghe in arestul IGM cadre ale fostelor organe de securitate au continuat sa se ocupe de acesta. Probe in acest sens, in afara de cele sus-amintite, sunt si declaratiile martorilor CV, ISt, MGh, RV, CI, Sgt. Munteanu Ion, Col. Creanga Mihail, plt. Palamariu Florinel, Clita Marian, s.a. Martorii sus-amintiti au declarat ca motivul anchetei lui Ursu de catre ofiterii de securitate il constituia in continuare jurnalul sau in care facuse consemnari impotriva sotilor Ceausescu si despre relatiile cu prietenii din tara si strainatate ce aveau conceptii anticomuniste si modul cum a transmis scrisori la posturile de radio straine. Urmare a celor de mai sus Ursu Gheorghe Emil, in timpul detentiei, a fost supus unui regim dur, de exterminare, actiunile convergente ale lucratorilor de militie si securitate ducind la eliminarea fizica a lui Ursu Gheorghe Emil prin uciderea sa. Atat cauza mortii cat si motivul real ce a stat la baza cercetarii lui Ursu Gheorghe Emil de catre securitate au fost ascunse." 

"The aforementioned evidence proves that aggents of former Securitate continued to handle Gheorghe Ursu's investigation even after he was transferred in the arrest of IGM  [the Militia Headquarters - our note]. Witness deppositions from CV, ISt, MGh, RV, CI, Sgt. Munteanu Ion, Col. Creanga Mihail, Sgt. Palamariu Florinel, Clita Marian and others constitute additional evidence. The aforementioned witnesses declared that the reason of Ursu's investigation by the Securitate officers was still his diary, in which he had written notes against the Ceausescu pair, notes about anti-communist friends in the country and abroad and notes on how he delivered letters to foreign radio stations. As a result of this, Ursu Gheorghe Emil was submitted to an extreme regime of extermination, with the end result of Militia and Securitate agents' joint actions being his phyical elimination by means of murder. The cause of death as well as the real reason for Ursu Gheorghe Emil's investigation by Securitate were both concealed."
The SPM resolution on 04.05.2003 further mentions:  "a number of persons made deppositions regarding the offence for which the file was disconnected - instigation to first-degree murder... however, the investigations have not been finalized (for example, the persons whom the disjointed file refers to have not testified)" 

It is clear from the above that the evidence for sending PIRVULESCU to trial has been available since theat time in file 8/P/2001 and respectively in the disjointed file at 03.12.2003, and that calling the implicated persons to testify was the only pending action item. 

The file against Pirvulescu, Gheorghe Ursu's  main investigator and torturer, the man who according to overwhelming evidence was the main killer, languished in the Military Prosecutor's Office for over 11 years. Gheorghe Ursu's family made numerous inquiries and additional formal complaints with prosecutors and courts over the years, to no avail. Chief Military Prosecutor Ion Vasilache has systematically rejected all complaints for illegal reasons, siding with the former Securitate torturer. Among his pretexts: that others have been convicted (ignoring the laws covering co-authors to torture and murder) or that statute of limitations applied (ignoring the fact that political torture and murder, as a crime against humanity sanctioned by the UN Charter on human rights, and both the international and Romanian laws, have no statute of limitations.

Yet the evidence (witness accounts and Securitate documents) have been available all these years in the files of previous trials. 

It is now also available to Prosecutor General Tiberiu Nitu, whose team, after Andrei Ursu's 13 days of hunger strike, is apparently finally examining the file.